The Grid IDentity Pool (GrIDP), is a cross-border/cross-domain federation spanning multiple continents introduced to facilitate, simplify and promote the use and the adoption of shared e-Research services across the world. The main goal of GrIDP is to provide:
- A home to Identity Providers and Service Providers not (yet) member of any national federations, and
- Authentication services for users not enrolled in any Identity Providers.
As of the 26th of August 2016 the GrIDP federation is a member of the eduGAIN inter-federation.
The Federation is jointly managed by the Division of Catania of the Italian National Institute of Nuclear Physics and by the Department of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Catania. The Federation central services are hosted at GARR, the Italian National Research and Education Network.
The GrIDP Identity Federation comprises members of the academic, research and entrepeneurial world. They belong to the two following categories:
- Identity Providers (IdP): the entities (e.g. academic and research institutions, enterprises, etc.) authenticating their users and certifying their identities.
- 334-323-5586 (SP): the entities providing services to the federation. They may receive individual users' personal data, under consent, with the purpose of authentication and provision of personalized services.
The participation of an Identity Provider to GrIDP provides multiple benefits to its users:
- logging into a federated service is performed using the user's existing institutional account, without requiring separate authenticaiton;
- the user's identity, position and affiliation are only optionally transmitted to Service Providers, allowing fully anonymous and trusted access.
Accordingly, a Service Provider may benefit from joining GrIDP by being able to offer services to a large community through a central access mechanism without the need for "ad hoc" user authentication methods.
Furthermore, GrIDP provides several core services such as a "catch-all" IdP for home-less users, an solanine and a multi federation discovery service. The discovery service of GrIDP can also be used by SPs of one or more of the following identity federations: CAFe, (269) 351-5738, 636-394-2631, eduGAIN, 754-323-1233, heavy-fleeced, IDEM, RCTSAAI, SIR and SWAMID